Yolo has convinced Commissioner Ayla that something dire is afoot. Ayla sees an opportunity to lay Lee Rensler low with evidence of his involvement in a crime. They've summoned a court recorder to the site: a mage with the power of law who is bound to observe, record, and tell truth via magical means.
| Property | Value |
|---|---|
| Start Date & Time | 2024-09-02 18:30 |
| Previous Scene | [[018. A Commissioned Officer]] |
| Current Chaos Factor | 4 |
| Scene Type | Expected |
Relevant Entities
- [[Yolo]]
- [[Lindiwie Kimura|Lindy]]
- [[Irvin Albrecht]]
- [[Commissioner Ayla]]
- [[ttrpgs/adventures_of_yolo/Characters/Magistrates Recorder]]
Scene
Yolo
Gods what a day. I need to sleep for a month.
Lindy
It'll be over soon Yolo, and then we can get some rest.
Irvin
Processing a crime scene takes hours. Can I get us some coffee?
Ayla
Please... and thanks.
Lindy
Ayla, you're pretty convinced this will be enough to get Lee?
Ayla
A recorder observing the last words of one of the assailants, specifically talking about harming Irvin?
she pauses
Yes, but only just. We're lucky they had to coordinate in the last moment, and that they said so much. That's all admissible though.
Lindy
Sounds like we'll have the last laugh for Dax then. Thanks Yolo.
Yolo
smiling a bit
I'll share that sentiment when there's a meaningful conviction, but yeah, it looks like we may set Dax's affairs to rest before long.
Irvin
Where will you two stay during the trial?
Lindy
Lindy starts to answer, but then is cut off by Ayla.
Ayla
The three of you will be under strict guard in a safehouse if I have anything to say about it.
Yolo
What?
Ayla
You're material witnesses in a crime that affects the largest, most powerful syndicate in the city. For your own safety, we'll keep you somewhere until the trial.
Lindy
And how long will that be?
Irvin
A week, maybe two. It'll be a big trial. Finding a prosecutor will be hard, and a straight judge...
Yolo
This keeps getting better. You remember we're being hunted not just by Lee's men, but by a cult as well, who are also after the artifact.
Ayla
All the more reason to keep you under protection and hidden away from prying eyes.
Lindy
At least you'll get that rest you were wanting?
Yolo
Silver linings...
Irvin
handing out mugs Coffee's ready.
Ayla
glancing from Lindy to Yolo
Come on Irvin, let's get started. There are two of us, we can start recording their possessions. Go get your pad.
She walks to Irvin and both move to the entry way.
Lindy
turns to face Yolo
How do you take it? Cream? Sugar?
Yolo nods and holds up two fingers
Lindy prepares Yolo's mug
Here... that spell really flattened you, huh?
Yolo
There were a bunch of spells, but channeling the dead is the worst. It's hard not to take on some of their exhaustion.
Lindy
How does that work anyway?
Yolo
I let the dead spirit ride on my frame for a little while. You make the connection weak enough so that they can't take over. They do it because the dead are desperate to be alive again, and they see a chance to get some of their essence back, but then the connection severs because the power runs out.
Lindy
So, for a few seconds, you were that guy?
Yolo
Yeah... more or less.
Lindy
That's horrifying! No wonder you're exhausted.
Yolo:
Yeah...
Lindy
Isn't it jarring, suddenly being another person?
Yolo
At first, but you learn to get used to it. The easier it is to bear the change, the less it takes out of you. Some folks are harder to channel for others...
Lindy
That makes sense.
She points to the mug of coffee
Drink it, or it'll get cold. It's no good cold.
Yolo
I appreciate it, but you don't have to worry yourself over me.
Lindy
Sorry, I just... I feel like I owe you, ya know?
What, don't look surprised. You fought to save my friend and me, you put yourself in a dangerous and profoundly upsetting position to honor the memory of my dead friend, and you did well for him when he was alive.
Yolo:
He was my friend too Lindy.
she take- a pull of her coffee, then stares into it
Lindy
Yeah, I know Yolo.
She takes a sip of her coffee
Look... before you tell me they were here for all of us today, you put your neck out there because you thought it was right to do so. Same as saving Dax from his stupid decisions in [[Places/The Bangers and Mash]], right?
Yolo
Yolo nods
Lindy
You're good people Yolo, and I don't meet many good people.
Yolo:
You're not so bad yourself.
Finishing the cup
What're you gonna do when we get through this? You'll be unemployed.
Lindy
I'll find something, I'm sure. That's too far out anyway. We gotta get through the trial, then talk some sense into the mages guild.
Yolo
We?
Lindy
You'd rather go it alone?
Yolo
No, but... it's not your fight.
Lindy
But it's my friend's fight, and I feel like I should help if I can.
Yolo
Yolo looks a little surprised, but then her expression softens and she nods.
I'm sure it'll go smoother with you here.
Game
- GME
- There's a knock, and then Ayla opens the door to an old, wizened figure wearing the red and gold embroidered robes that mark a [[The Mages Guild |mages guild]] official.
- Does the recorder recognize Yolo,
- Nearly Certain, yes, random event
- 10, 72 - Conditional Promise
- Is the recorder working for multiple groups?
- Likely, yes, the Watchers
- Nearly Certain, yes, random event
- The Recorder's conditional promise is that he'll inform the few watchers in the city that Yolo is here, but he can't directly harm her or capture her without ruining his cover in the guild, which is too useful.
Recorder
Good evening Commissioner, Constable. I got here as soon as I could
looking over at the bodies, then past them to see Yolo and Lindy at the table
And Miss Yolande. Good to see you again after so long.
addressing Lindy
And you madam? I'm afraid we're unacquainted. Your name for the record?
Lindy
Lindiwie Kimura. Bounty Hunter, formerly under the employ of Lee Rensler.
Recorder
Appreciated.
If the four of you would each go into separate rooms, I'd like to take a statement from each of you.
Yolo
Sir, if I may?
He Nods
The bodies are still fresh, maybe less than an hour, certainly less than two. You might inspect them before it becomes harder.
Recorder
The Recorder looks at the corpses lining the hall, studying the one Yolo worked with the longest.
I assume you already questioned this one?
Yolo
That's correct Sir.
Recorder
Fine. Still, I need you separated.
Pointing at Irvin
Go to your bedroom.
Pointing at Lindy
Go to the living room.
Pointing at Yolo
Stay at the table
Ayla, you weren't a party to this, so you'll be my second for the bodies...
Narrator
The Recorder recreates the ritual that Yolo performed earlier, four different times. Each time, he uses his staff of office to channel energy out of the body and into himself. He still needs to consume a part of the tongue though. None of the spirits reveal new information. It's largely just the henchmen arguing with each other about how best to ambush the crew below and discussing how Lee might reward them. After the final channeling, the Recorder turns to Ayla and begins speaking.
Recorder
Does that reflect the conjuring Yolo performed.
Ayla
The tail end of it. There was some language before it as well.
Recorder
What was the nature of those words?
Ayla
They discussed whether Yolo had cut them out of the deal and delivered an artifact to Lady Eadriel directly. Presumably the decedent said that it was unlikely, as the Lady was upset with Lee's lack of delivery.
Recorder, to Yolo:
Is this true?
Yolo
Yes.
The recorder goes on to question Irvin and Lindy, before coming downstairs and turning his attention to Yolo..
Recorder
Yolinde, you understand that anything you say to me is the same as if you'd said it in court, sworn to an oath?
Yolo
I understand. I would prefer if you called me Yolo.
Recorder
Of course, we need your legal name for the record though you understand. Why did you come to this house today?
Yolo
For aid. Lindy believed her old friend could introduce us to people who could help us.
Recorder
Help you with what?
Yolo
A few things. Destroying a dangerous artifact, learning who was seeking it and why, finding allies in our fight against Lee Rensler.
Recorder
You came here intending to find allies against Lee? Why?
Yolo
He'd sent Lindy to capture me. If we didn't return the artifact, he'd have sent more. We couldn't risk him getting the artifact.
Recorder
Does it belong to him?
Yolo
I don't believe so. He'd contracted Daxter Biggby to recover it. Dax died before he could find it. I recovered it, but had no formal relationship to Dax. I believe by rights it's mine.
Recorder
What makes the artifact dangerous?
Yolo
Powerful soul magic. I believe it to be for making phylacteries.
Recorder
raises an eyebrow
That would be serious. How do you know?
Yolo
Markings on the walls at the site, and sensing the aura of the device.
Narrator
The questioning continues for another hour, covering the particulars of the fight here in Irvin's home, the flight from the ruins to Knathton, and the attack at the inn in Knathton. Once the questions of Yolo finish, the recorder examines the possessions and the bodies of the henchman that attacked them. After this concludes, it's nearly midnight.
Recorder
We are satisfied. As a formality, none of you are allowed to leave the city unless otherwise directed by the law until the inquest is concluded. Given the nature of the charges, I suspect none of you will be leaving police custody until the conclusion of the inquest?
Ayla
That is our intention.
Recorder
Yolo, the guild is pleased to see you still live. If the artifact is yours, and is as dangerous as you say, we will do what is in our power to see that it cannot be misused.
Yolo
I note you didn't say you'd help me destroy it.
Recorder
It's dangerous to destroy something you don't understand Yolinde. The mages' guild always prefers to study things first, as you well know.
Turning to Ayla
Goodnight Commissioner. Expect the courts to reach out in the morning.
Ayla
Goodnight Recorder.
turning to the constable who is outside the door
Is the transport ready?
Constable:
Ready, as are the decoys.
Ayla
Good.
Narrator
Three additional people, all in black robes, walk in. Ayla hands Yolo, Lindy, and Irvin each a black robe.
Ayla
Put these on. Two of you in each wagon.
Yolo and Lindy, in the center wagon.
Irvin and you in front.
The two of you in the back.
We'll be in touch in a few day, enjoy the stay, and stay vigilant.
Ending Summary
Added Threads
- Romance [[Lindiwie Kimura|Lindy]]
- Destroy [[The Artifact Dax Died To Get]]
- Evade or Reconcile with [[The Mages Guild]]
Closed Threads
- What did [[Lee Rensler]] know about [[The Artifact Dax Died To Get | the artifact]]
- Do Something to Honor [[Characters/Daxter Biggby]]'s memory
- Get closer to [[Lindiwie Kimura|Lindy]]
Added Characters
Removed Characters
End of Scene Checklist
Update PCsMark Arc ProgressAward XP, Cyphers, Items, etc.
Update FactionsObjectives if faction objective was touchedRandom fate roll if not
Update Threads & Character ListsSet up next scene template
| Property | Value |
|---|---|
| Next Scene | [[020. Safe House, In the Middle of No Where]] |
| Next Expected Scene | Rest and Downtime at Safehouse, expected |
| Ending Chaos Factor | 5 |
Comments
Post a Comment