Skip to main content

001. A Tight Squeeze


Daxter Biggby is wounded beyond saving by the initial springing of a trap. The walls are pushing inward, and there's no apparent way out. How will Yolo survive?


PropertyValue
Previous SceneNone
Current Chaos Factor5
Scene TypeFirst

Relevant Entities

  • Daxter Biggby
  • Yolo

Scene

Yolo

I wasn't quite sure how it happened. Hell, I wasn't even quite sure what had happened. One minute ol' Daxby and me were following a corridor deeper into the ruins, the next, I hear a door slide shut behind me. In the moment I took to turn around and look, something must of happened. Now the poor bastard's lying on the floor. It doesn't look good.

Game


  • Yolo
    • I'm going to call out to Dax while I try to assess the situation. I heard the door shut behind me. Is the way ahead open?
  • GME
    • Obvious answer, Yes. The way's barred. That's the only way the trap makes sense.

Yolo

Door's slid closed on us Dax. Way back's closed too. You still here with me?

Dax

For the moment old girl. For the moment. Watch... watch your step. Floor's got a nasty bite.

Yolo

Shit. Wounded leg.
Labored breathing. Not shallow yet.
Gotta find a way out.
Sit tight and don't give it any more to chew on then. Come on... where's the release. They always build a release into these things...

Game


  • Yolo
    • I need to search the room for a release. They never put it near the entrance or the exit. It's likely in the middle of the room. A plate on the floor, a wall tile or decoration that's a secret trigger, something.
    • Successful notice roll.
  • GME
    • You see the release, but can you reach it?
    • Likely -- 92 -- No (it's on the ceiling)

Yolo

Gotcha. It's up top Dax. In one of those recesses. See that one in the center? It's the only one without... oh...shit. Look Dax, I need you to get ready to move, ok?

Dax

Hahaha.... crushing spike room... with an emergency off switch is it? Classic... classic. You've... got... to.... appreciate the classics.

Yolo

That's way worse than it was just a second ago.

Game


  • Yolo
    • Dax is in front of me, so he's on my way to the center of the room anyway. I need to walk to him, carefully. How bad is the wound, where is he hit?
  • GME
    • Roll athletics, but it's an easy task since you know there are traps and you've done notice. Just don't fumble.
  • Yolo
    • 9, succeed with a raise
  • GME
    • You won't need to roll to avoid the floor spikes for the rest of the scene, and you move quickly. Dax isn't hurt, he's dead and doesn't know it yet, or hasn't told you. The spike is in his thigh, there's a ton of blood. You assume it nicked an artery.
    • As you arrive at Dax's side, spikes begin to slide out of the ceiling and it starts to lower.

Yolo

I'm so sorry Dax. If it's any consolation, I'll tell them it was something far dumber and more heroic that got you.

Game


  • Yolo
    • I move forward to position myself under the switch.
  • GME
    • Dax grabs your leg as you make to leave. You feel the warmth of his blood seep into your pants from his hand, which had been holding the wound closed.

Dax

You... you were a good sport Yolo... and... a better friend... for what that's worth. Don't forget... don't... the pack... you'll be wanting mine...

Yolo

Sure Dax... sure. You want me to do it, or the ruins?
I relieve him of his bag and carry it on my front,
with my bag on my back

Dax

Won't... w... necessary. Besides... a cliche... too fitting.

Yolo

He's right about that.
He'll be gone before I trip the release.

Game


  • Yolo
    • I move forward into position beneath the release I found earlier. Either it works or it doesn't.
  • GME
    • There's nothing to roll. You wait on the ceiling to come into reach, then stand on your tiptoes to push the switch in the missing spike. The motion stops. The spikes retract. The door clicks. Notably, only the door ahead of you. The way is cramped, but clear.

Yolo

Well... that's godsdamned rude, isn't it Dax? Can't even be bothered to open the door for me. Now, why on earth would the trap release funnel me further into the temple.

Ending Summary

Added Threads

  • Find whatever it was Dax was looking for
  • Escape the ruins alive

Added Characters

  • The Ruins
  • Whoever Built the Ruins
  • Lee Rensler
Property Value
End Date & Time 12/3/2024
Next Scene [[Journal/002. What Dax Left Behind]]
Next Expected Scene Yolo moves further into the ruins, looking for a quiet place to nurse her shattered nerves and search through Dax's pack for some clue about what we're supposed to be doing here.
Ending Chaos Factor 6