Yolo and Lindy pass the time waiting to be summoned for the trial.
| Property | Value |
|---|---|
| Start Date & Time | 2024-09-08 20:02 |
| Previous Scene | [[020. Safe House, In the Middle of No Where]] |
| Current Chaos Factor | 4 |
| Scene Type | Expected |
Relevant Entities
[[Yolo]]
[[Lindiwie Kimura|Lindy]]
[[ttrpgs/adventures_of_yolo/Places/Light House near Old City]]
Scene
Game
- GME
- Does Lindy wake up first (Very Likely)
- Extreme No
- Yolo is awake hours before lindy. She has trouble sleeping anyway, and it's been a rough night.
Yolo
begrudgingly rolls out of her hammock
Can't sleep anyway... may as well get up...
she stumbles over to the portal to the outside and slowly swings it open
Not even a safety rail. Just... nothing. It's a nice view at least...
she looks out over the ocean, watching the sun just starting to creep over the horizon
... the strawberry is sweet...
she's quiet for several minutes as she lays looking out over the ocean at the rising sun. Birds begin fishing in the morning light
The coffee from last night breaks Yolo from her reverie. She looks back at Lindy, still dead asleep.
Crap... there's no where to use the bathroom privately here.
scratching the back of her head
Well... we can talk about that as it comes up... for now, may as well save us sitting in a room with a piss pot as long as I can.
Yolo stands and relieves herself over the edge, turns, and slowly shuts the door behind her. She returns to the center of the room, fetches her pack, and sits against the wall, facing her sleeping friend. She takes out pencils and starts to sketch.
This is... harder than it looks...
Game
- Yolo
- I want to produce a good sketch. I've got no particularly honed skill, but I've done drawing before
- GME
- Call it an int test
- You're trying to do like, a portrait? Call it a 5
- Yolo
- Can I count time and having done sketches of archaeological sites as assets?
- GME
- Sure, as long as you use a level of effort
- Yolo
- I'll use 2
- Nat 20
- GME
- Get your effort back
- Will you take a complication?
- Yolo
- Yes
- GME
- Lindy wakes up as you're finish the sketch, she looks dead at you sitting there, studying her, working in Dax's journal
- Lindy
- How does lindy receive being watched while she sleeps?
- Not negatively? Very Likely, No.
- Yolo
- Does Yolo admit to herself she did it because she's taken with Lindy?
- Unlikely, extreme no
- she's in denial, but the picture says it all.
- it's very flattering, especially the lips and eyes
Lindy
slowly opens her eyes, blinks twice, and then sits upright quickly
Hey... why are you...
Were you watching me sleep?
Were you drawing me while I slept?!
Yolo
I'm...yes...
there's a silence that stretches for a second
I couldn't sleep, and I needed something to do that wouldn't wake you.
Lindy
So you decided to draw a portrait
waits a beat
of me
waits again
Asleep.
You don't think that's a little rude? How would feel if someone drew pictures of you unawares.
Yolo
flipping to an earlier page in the journal as she walks towards Lindy
Actually, Dax did a few of me on our travels.
Pointing at the hammock
May I?
Lindy
Hmmm? Sit?
sighs
Sure, sit down, and give me that.
she pages through the sketches of Yolo, setting camp, cleaning, washing her face and hair
When did you find these?
Yolo
Just a few hours after he died. I was looking for clues as to who had paid him to find the artifact. I thought I might finish the job as a tribute or something.
Lindy
And? How did it make you feel to know he looked at you when you weren't paying attention? That he captured you like that
pointing at the picture of her bathing
Yolo
Honestly?
Seeing Lindy nodding in the affirmative
I think what I said was "This would have ruined his reputation". He always presented himself as this bawdy, womanizing letch.
pointing at the picture of her washing her hair
These weren't drawn by a womanizer. They're... tasteful, and honest. Maybe even a bit loving.
she tears up a second
It made me sad he was gone, mostly. Probably just the shock from the loss catching up with me though.
Game
- GME
- Roll a persuasion test, difficult 5
- You can use your honesty and friendship as assets.
- Yolo
- I'll spend 3 effort to succeed
- Nat 20
- GME
- Take your effort back
- You think that, not only have you made it up to Lindy except for explicitly apologizing, but if you want to advertise your availability for something more, you could.
Yolo
Look, I'm sorry I startled you, and I'm sorry that I overstepped. Before you pass judgement on me, will you at least look at it? It's nothing salacious...
Lindy
sighing
You really don't understand, do you?
*shaking her head, she takes the journal and flips back to the end where Yolo was working. She sees the portrait yolo drew. It's only of her face, in loving detail. Her hair flpped over a part of her face, the whole thing cradled in her arm. Eyes shut, mouth slightly open in sleep.
She sits in silence, looking at the picture. She blushes slightly, but Yolo doesn't notice because she's looking away
Yolo
becoming impatient with the quiet See Lindy? Nothing tawdry. Just a portrait.
Again a silence stretches. She gets uncomfortable and starts to fill it
If you want me to tear it out and burn it, I will.
Lindy
quietly I'd appreciate it if you tore it out and gave it to me.
Yolo
Of course
tearing
Ummm... how did it make you feel?
Lindy
surprised I beg your pardon?
Yolo
How did seeing the picture make you feel? You still mad at me?
Lindy
I wasn't... you startled me.
opens her mouth, starts, and stops
Both times, I guess.
Where'd you learn to draw?
Yolo
Sketches of ruins and murals and things we found I guess. Dax made me do rubbings and take notes and dictation. He'd validate them later, and sometimes take more detailed sketches next to my rough ones.
Lindy
Was that your first sketch of a person?
Yolo
Yeah
Lindy
Why? There was plenty of still life here. Sketch the crates or the food or the window. Why a portrait? Why me?
Yolo
I... dunno.
Game
- Lindy
- Does Lindy press the issue?
- Very Likely, yes
- Yolo
- Does being pressed help her figure out what's up?
- Likely, No
- GME
- not on its own, you can do an int role to figure it out for yourself
- Difficulty 6
- Yolo
- I'll spend 3, and use being poked as an asset?
- GME
- Roll it
- 11, Strong Hit
- You have a crush
Lindy
Bullshit. You don't wanna say.
Yolo
looks at the picture in front of her, then her eyes suddenly widen, she turns towards Lindy
... because I think you're pretty.
she pauses for a second, then pushes through
It hasn't been the best of circumstances, but I've enjoyed your company.
Narrator
The awkward silence doesn't go on long. It's interrupted by two sharp raps on the door above them, a pause, and then three more. Lindy quietly stands, moves to the hatch, and opens the door.
Shotgunner
Morning. Sorry about the delay, we had to deal with a courier.... here's something to eat
he hands over two steaming mugs of oatmeal, and then two more mugs of coffee
There was a courier from the city this morning. Last night, we were followed as we left the city. Mercifully, one of the decoy cars did the job. Anyway, they stopped and captured the pursuers.
he bares his forearms, the gaurd next to him does the same. They are bare
They said I was to show you my arms to show that you were safe here, and to keep my eye on the lookout for more watchers. You two lay low and try not to make too much noise. We were told to expect trouble.
he pulls the door shut.
Lindy
Lindy bolts it again, and brings the mugs over to Yolo
If they chased us that fast, someone at [[Irvin Albrecht| Irvin]]'s last night must have said we were there. Who...
Yolo
Maybe... Who was there?
she counts
Irvin
Commissioner
the Constable
the Doctor
the Recorder
Lindy
Hard to know, but we'll want to find out...the trial is gonna be iffy tough. Fixed place, they know we'll be there, plenty of time to plan before it happens... shit.
Yolo
starting to eat
Yeah
Lindy
So... Yolinde?
Yolo
What?
waits a second
Oh! Why the nickname?
She sees Lindy nod
I don't like my given name much, so I made up a nickname to make it mine. It's a long story.
Lindy
We've got a long time.
Game
- GME
- Does the mages guild take all potentials from an early age?
- 50/50, yes
- What was the nature of Yolo's first spell?
- Summon Time
- How long did it last?
- 1-3 hours
- 4-5 days
- 6 years
- 6
Yolo
The guild takes any child that shows potential, but usually that's a happy occasion. They have mild prescience, or true sight, or something, and then a tutor comes in to evaluate their abilities to see if they could be honed.
she lets out a big breath
I don't need an implement to channel, I just do. I guess I syphoned time from people around me. I aged perternatuarally slowly, while my caretakers took on additional years.
Lindy
I've been told that's what infants do...
Yolo
Figuratively, sure, but it was more literal in my case. I guess it went on for years. At first they thought it was a medical problem, but when they didn't find anything physically wrong, they brought in a mage... obviously they found out
Lindy
So they took on an infant?
Yolo
Yeah. I don't even know if Yolinde is my birth name. They've plenty of reasons to lie.
Lindy
Why would they give you a boys name?
Yolo
Who knows? Maybe I'm named after some internally famous mage? Maybe it's a family name. Maybe my dad picked a name to will a boy into existence and refused to budge.
shrugs
Who would tell me anyway? And why would I trust them?
Game
- GME
- That's a lie and Lindy can try to detect it.
- Discern Motive, at a 5
- Lindy
- Suspects that Yolo is holding something back
- Doesn't suspect the right thing
- Use 1 effort, pushing it down to a 4
- Rolled 12, strong hit
- GME
- That's not the truth, and she knows it.
Lindy
Yolo... come on. We're risking our lives together and you can't tell me about your name?
Yolo
My parents really wanted a boy. They were so sure they had one, and then, once I was born, there were so many other problems, they never got around to changing my name. Once I got to the mage's guild, it was never a priority for me, but having such a masculine name was weird. So I took on a nickname, in part to avoid having this specific conversation repeatedly.
Game
- GME
- Lindy can detect motive again if she wants, higher difficulty, at a 6
- Lindy
- I'll try
- She's been lying before
- She offered this as a possible explanation but didn't commit, so it stinks up front
- I'll spend 1 effort, and now I'm really curious so maybe I get a free one for my curious trait.
- GME
- That seems fair, roll it at difficulty 2
- Lindy
- 17, strong hit
- GME
- It's a half truth.
Lindy
That's not entirely it either Yolo, I can tell
she sighs
You'd tell me if it was going to put us in danger, right?
Yolo nods yes
Can you at least tell me why you don't want to talk about it?
Yolo
looks at the ceiling, stares a bit, then turns back to Lindy
It's... really personal... and upsetting. I don't like to talk about it.
Lindy
If it ever matters, if it ever becomes relevant, you'll tell me before it becomes a problem?
Yolo
Yeah... yeah I will.
Lindy
Ok... I won't bring it up again.
Game
- Lindy
- I want to look around for something to help break the tension and help us pass the time
- A game board, a deck of cards, anything to be idle with
- GME
- Perception test at a 4
- Lindy
- Trained perception, free level of effort from curious, effort from just me
- 3, strong hit
- There are cards and a chess set
Lindy
Do you play cards? Chess?
Yolo
I can play both. Though I haven't played a game of cards in years. People tend not to play cards with mages, as many of us can know our opponents hands if we wish to. I promise I won't cheat though.
Game
- Lindy
- Int roll, 18, 2, 20
- Yolo
- Int roll, 7, 12, 16
Narrator
Over the course of a few hands, it becomes apparent that Lindy is the superior player, but that Yolo is no slouch. She wins a hand or two, and the losing hands are quite close.
Lindy
For someone who doesn't play much, you're passably good.
Yolo
Sure, but you're incredible. Are you sure you're a bounty hunter and not a card shark?
Lindy
It's something to do when you have to wait quietly for hours.
Game
- GME
- Does the day pass uneventfully
- nearly certain, no
- Is it a positive interruption
- nearly certain, yes
- news of the trial. It starts nearly immediately, in 3 days.
- They'll be moved back into town for the trial 2 days from today
Narrator
The same familiar knocking pattern comes and interrupts the ladies' card game. Lindy walks over and opens the trap door, letting one of the guards in. He's carrying another meal.
Shotgunner
Here's your dinner.
While I'm here, I should mention we've had some word about your stay. Sounds like you'll be called back to town in two more days. I hope that helps the two of you continue to sit tight and keep a low profile. I know it's cramped as hell up here, but you'll get out shortly.
Lindy
handing back the morning dishes
That's good to know. Thanks for the food.
she shuts and bolts the door in
Yolo
Not that long cramped up in here then. That's a relief.
Sees Lindy nodding
So, more cards?
Ending Summary
Added Threads
Closed Threads
Added Characters
Removed Characters
End of Scene Checklist
Update PCsMark Arc ProgressAward XP, Cyphers, Items, etc.
Update FactionsObjectives if faction objective was touchedRandom fate roll if not
Update Threads & Character Lists- Set up next scene template
| Property | Value |
|---|---|
| Next Scene | [[ttrpgs/adventures_of_yolo/journal/022. A Polite Conversation]] |
| Next Expected Scene | Resolving the interrogation of the captured watchers by the commissioner 1, altered scene |
| Ending Chaos Factor | 5 |
Comments
Post a Comment