Yolo moves further into the ruins, looking for a quiet place to nurse her shattered nerves and search through Dax's pack for some clue about what we're supposed to be doing here.
| Property | Value |
|---|---|
| Start Date & Time | |
| Previous Scene | [[001. A Tight Squeeze]] |
| Current Chaos Factor | 6 |
| Scene Type | Expected |
Relevant Entities
[[Characters/Yolo]]
[[Lee Rensler]]
[[Places/The Ruins]]
[[Characters/Whoever Built the Ruins]]
Scene
Yolo
I try to maintain my composure as I walk out of the crushing room. My footsteps come steadily, but my knees feel weak. My stomach is a sour pit as I step into the passage beyond.
For the first time in a long time, I'm scared. Really, genuinely, visibly scared. My hands have tremors. My breathing is uneven. I stop just past the doorway and take my time, sweeping my torch back and forth. I'm carefully searching for traps on the floor and on the walls.
Game
- Yolo
- Success & a raise on search
- GME
- You observe no traps here.
Yolo
Relieved, I set Dax's pack down. Then my own on the other side of it. I put my back to the wall, and slowly slump down. My knees are bent, my back is braced, my head is tilted up.
Shit shit shit. Shit. Damn it Dax.
I relax my head and stare straight ahead into the flickering shadows on the wall.
Damn... damn it.
I feel water on my face and reach up to touch it.
Tears... I... didn't realize... shock. Shock'll kill you. What did Dax say?
Mimicking Dax
Stay in the moment girlie. Pain is fleeting, death, well, not so much.
Hot. It's been such a long time since I've cried. It's ok to cry. He was good to us, and now he's gone. You can take a moment.
Just a moment though.
I set my head between my knees and let the tears and the sobs come. I wrap my arms around my legs and squeeze. Then, I start box breathing. When I've calmed down again, I relax my arms, raise my head, and wipe my eyes.
Well, I guess one advantage of being lost in centuries abandoned ruins is no one can see you cry... Now, how in the hells do I get out of this place. Dax must have known something.
Game
- Yolo
- I open Dax's pack, looking for anything of use in my current predicament.
- Specifically, I'm looking for
- Supplies
- Rations
- potions & bandages
- lockpicks
- lantern oil
- Anything that would let me know about my current predicament
- A journal with notes
- A map of the ruins
- The contract we were executing
- Some small keepsake to remind me of Dax
- Supplies
- GME
There aren't any supplies. Dax always used you like a damn pack mule, remember? You've got all the food and kit worth having. He just carried extra water for the two of you, his gun, and ammunition. That and his journal, which you find in the bag.
Yolo
Holding up the beaten leather bound diary
That damnable journal of his. In the end, he may have been more of a grave robber than a real academic, but he still insisted on playing the part didn't he? Charcoal sketches, pen and ink drawings... He always kept it closely guarded. I wonder what's in it.
Game
- Yolo
- I start paging through from the back. If there's anything relevant, it's going to be there.`
- GME
- Is the contract in the diary, Very Likely.
- It is. A folded piece of parchment falls out and hits the ground as you start flipping from the back.
- The contract says who you're working for, and what you're looking for. It's an artifact of some sort. We'll resolve what and who when they become relevant.
- Yolo
- Are there notes on the ruins or the current 'dig' in the journal
- GME
- Obvious yes.
- Do they contain a map?
- Very Likely: Yes
- Is it Accurate?
- Likely: Yes
- Yolo
- Do I find anything else interesting in the journal
- GME
- Nearly Certain. Yes
- Dax kept sketches of you. Seems he was quite the admirer. Nothing tawdry though. These were portraits of you in profile, and the occasional cartoon of the two of you escaping some exaggerated trap.
- Yolo
- Did Dax mention other friends? Next of Kin?
- GME
- 50/50, No. Just you, and clients.
Yolo
chuckling No wonder you hid the thing. I always knew you were a big ol' softie, but this would have ruined your whole image.
Right, nothing for it. Gotta press on, grab the artifact, and save the girl. Never mind that I'm the girl this time.
Game
- Yolo
- I want to find myself on the map
- Research: Simple Success
- GME
- You find yourself on the map. You notice that, although some rooms on the map are marked as having traps, the one that got Dax was unmarked.
Yolo
...Trust, but verify. Damn. Well, if it says it's trapped, it almost certainly is. If it says it's safe, might not be. Let's step carefully.
Game
- GME
- Treat trap-finding as a very easy (+2) for any room marked as having a trap, and easy (+1) for any room not marked.
- There are 5 rooms left to explore.
- 90% (4) of the rooms show as having traps, with the connecting hallways being safe.
- Layout is like the suit of clubs.
Ending Summary
Added Threads
- Complete the Contract (Return the Artifact to the Client)
- Do Something To Honor Dax's Memory
Added Characters
- [[Items/The Artifact Dax Died To Get]]
- [[Items/Dax's Journal]]
| Property | Value |
|---|---|
| Next Scene | [[Journal/003. Ruins, Rummaging, Ruminations]] |
| Next Expected Scene | Yolo explores the remainder of the ruins, one room at a time, until she finds the treasure room and the artifact she and Dax were sent here to find. |
| Ending Chaos Factor | 5 |