Skip to main content

008. A Night in the Woods

The people pursuing Yolo got a really good look at me, and found something on Daxter Biggby's corpse tying the two of them together. They have enough information to pursue me easily, and enough power to do so, though Yolo isn't aware of the danger yet.

Regrouping in the woods, ditching my trail, making a decision on whether to double back and track them or return to civilization.
Got Interrupt, PC Negative



Property Value
Start Date & Time
Previous Scene [[007. Waking in a Haze]]
Current Chaos Factor 7
Scene Type Interrupt

Relevant Entities

[[Characters/those people that tried to capture or kill Yolo in the ruins]]
[[The Ruins]]
[[Places/The Old City]]

Scene

Yolo



Shit... wheeze shit... Think... think I'm away for a second.
They'll be along in a second. Once they regroup.
There were three. And they all had tattoos
that symbol...
how are they connected to the ruins


Game

  • Yolo
    • I need to start covering my tracks.
  • GME
    • Roll smarts for me
  • Yolo
    • Simple success
  • GME
    • Take +2 to each stealth roll you make this scene.
    • Give me one now.
  • Yolo
    • Stealth, 11 + 2, 13, 2 raises
  • GME
    • You find some hard pack earth leading to somewhat rocky terrain. It should hide your trail fairly well, but it's right next to where you made your mad dash to. They're likely to connect an abrupt end in the trail with the general direction you went it.
    • Do you want to put more distance between you, start tracking them, what're you thinking.
  • Yolo
    • Curiosity compels me to try and learn something about them, and I may not get another chance. I need to double back, but keep my tracks covered.
  • GME
    • Give me stealth. You know generally what direction you came from.
  • Yolo
    • Stealth, 5, simple success
  • GME
    • You're getting close to where you ducked into the rocks, but from a large distance. You can see it across a clearing, effectively you'd have been watching yourself from behind.
    • Give me another stealth roll.
  • Yolo
    • Stealth, 6, simple success
  • GME
    • You see the three people who chased you out of the ruins roll up on the rocks you scrambled over. They stop and talk as your tracks disappear. Eventually one seems to catch trace of your trail, and he calls the others over. As they move over, you swear you see one of the three look dead in your direction. He begins chatting with the man who is checking out the marks and looking further up the rocks.
  • Yolo
    • I'm going to cast entangle again.
    • 5, simple success.
    • Spend 2 power points, leaving me at 6.
  • GME
    • they're entangled, but one breaks free almost immediately
  • Yolo
    • I move to bolt him.
    • I spend a benny to be successful. (simple success, 9 damage)
  • GME
    • He collapses like a sack of potatoes.
    • None of the other free themselves, Go again
  • Yolo
    • I cast bolt on one of the restrained fellows.
    • Simple success. 9 damage.
  • GME
    • He goes limp, but remains standing. His compatriot struggles against his bindings, but cannot.
    • He struggles again, and makes some progress, but does not break free. What would you do?
  • Yolo
    • I'll close the distance. I want to subdue him.
  • GME
    • You close the distance. You want to strike him?
  • Yolo
    • Yeah, clock him while he's restrained. There must be a branch or something I can improvise with.
  • GME
    • Sure, roll fighting. +4 because he's tied up.
  • Yolo
    • 16, Success with 3 raises.
  • GME
    • You crack him across the back of the head with the wood. He goes rag doll.
    • The combat is over.
  • Yolo
    • Great. I have rope on me. How are the other two fellows that attacked me? Dead? Alive?
  • GME
    • They're badly wounded. Without aid, they'll die.
  • Yolo
    • I hate this, but I need to tie all three up.
    • Can I move them without outright killing them?
  • GME
    • You don't think so.
  • Yolo
    • Do they have any lengths of rope between them, or things to bind their hands with?
  • GME
    • Very likely. 90.
    • Yes, they've got rope
  • Yolo
    • I take it and bind them all up.
    • I'll strip them of their weapons and search them while I'm at it.
  • GME
    • You take your time and do a good job.
    • We can resolve what it is you find when we're done rolling and such.
    • You need to try and stabilize the two you wounded, if you want them to live.
  • Yolo
    • I do. I'll use magical healing on each in turn.
      • Success with a raise
      • Success with a raise
      • I'm out of power points
  • GME
    • You manage to stabilize them.
    • All three start to come around.

Yolo

Grand. We're out of the woods I think.


Game

  • Yolo
    • I'm going to start going through their possessions in front of them, very slowly.
    • Starting with weapons. What were they carrying?
  • GME
    • Each man had a pair of daggers and a bow.
  • Yolo
    • I take a good long look at one of the daggers.
    • Test the heft, look at the handle, anything remarkable?
    • Notice, 3, failure
  • GME
    • Nothing at first glance. It's a very non descript knife.
    • You could have gotten them anywhere.
  • Yolo
    • What about the bows?
    • Simple Success
  • GME
    • Well made, well strung.
    • The arrow fletching is all uniform. The heads are all cast. The arrows, at least, appear to be mass produced.
    • You would guess the bows are commodity bows as well.
  • Yolo
    • Have they said anything yet?
  • GME
    • No. They're all looking at each other, but no one is saying anything.

Yolo

I pick up and throw the daggers into the woods, in different directions one at a time. I hold on to the last one. I hold it in one hand as I pick up a bow and cut the string.

Cat got your tongue?

I pick up and snap the string on a second bow.

Pity.


Game

  • Yolo
    • What other belongings did they have? Packs? Coin purses?
  • GME
    • Each man carried a small pack, two had belt pouches as well.
  • Yolo
    • I cut open one of the belt pouches. Not open. Cut. What was in it?
  • GME
    • Gems of various sorts.
    • Precious metal in bars or coins, but with no distinct markings.

Yolo

Clearly you gentlemen understand commerce.

I cut the final bow string and pick up an arrow

These weapons had to come from somewhere...

I make a point of opening the second purse


Game

  • Yolo
    • Is it the same?
  • GME
    • Yes.

Yolo

I combine the contents of the two bags and place it in my bag.

Maybe there will be something more interesting in here.

I make a show of cutting open the bottom of the first pack, spilling its contents and ruining it in the process


Game

  • GME
    • Do the packs contain anything besides basic adventuring supplies?
    • Likely. 64. Yes
      • The first pack contains the standard adventuring gear. Water, rations, rope, flint, oil. And a folded up pierce of parchment. One with sketches of you.

Yolo

I see... Well, that doesn't tell me anything I didn't strongly suspect. Let's see what's in bag #2....

I split the bag up the back, towards the side a person would wear


Game

  • GME
    • Heal
      • You find medical supplies.
      • Ointments, bandages, pressed pills.

Yolo

I pick up and start to eat some of the dried meat that is in the spilled rations

Glad to see you boys were prepared for trouble.
I set the medical supplies aside

These might be useful. Let's see what's in this last bag, shall we?
I cut open the final bag


Game

  • GME
    • Is it anything that reveals who the three are or what they were doing?
    • Unlikely. 06 - Extreme yes -> Family
    • A family photo falls out of the pack. Worn, and creased. It was taken... you don't know how long ago, but it's been fretted over for years. The man in the photo is clearly one of the men sitting before you now. The photo also shows a woman and two small children, one is an infant. A date and a name are on the back.


Yolo

Oh, a family man? Now we're getting somewhere. I kinda suspect you're not supposed to have this.

I move over to one of the other men, kneeling down in front of him and holding up the picture so he can see it.

Is he supposed to have this? You all seem quite cloak and dagger. No national currencies, no written orders or notes, speaking to each other in secret languages. All very hush hush isn't it? And then this jackass goes and carries a photo of his family on assignment.

I stand with my head raised, rubbing the bridge of my nose with the hand not holding the dagger for a second.

Look. I don't want to kill you. Obviously. I healed you rather than letting you die. But I need to know why the three of you were guarding those ruins, searching my friends corpse, and trying to kill me.

I kneel down to face the three of them at eye level.
Any takers?


Game

  • GME
    • One of the men, not the one from the picture, starts to shout in the language you heard them using earlier.
  • Yolo
    • I stab him in the neck from the side.

Yolo

I wipe the knife off on the dead man's shirt

I said I didn't want to kill you, not that I wouldn't kill you if I had to. I don't know if that was a bluff, or if you have friends in these woods, but we're on a time table now. Maybe he was the leader, and you two aren't as convicted as he was.

I kneel down in front of the second man, the one not in the photo
You'd better tell me what I need to know and figure out some way to convince me you aren't a threat.

I put the knife point next to his throat
Last chance.


Game

  • GME
    • Roll intimidation (or spirit), +4
  • Yolo
    • Simple success
  • GME
    • He starts to cry.

Non-Family Mook

sobbing I don't want to die, I don't want to die...

Yolo

And you don't have to. I need four questions answered, then I'm gone and you and your friend can free yourself. Are we understood?

Non-Family Mook

nods emphatically Yes.

Yolo

Why did you and your friends try to kill me?

Non-Family Mook

We're charged with guarding these ruins.

Yolo

shakes her head
Tut, tut, tut. Not specific enough. What are the ruins, why are they worth guarding?

Non-Family Mook

We watch the ruins of [[The Omath]]. The places are sacred, and the magics they house are too dangerous to let loose into the wider world. Trespass is a taboo punishable by death.

Yolo

Much better. Tell me about your order. What are you all called, how many are you?

Non-Family Mook

turns white as a sheet. Swallows hard.

Just... just the watchers. We're just called the watchers. And

He clears his throat again
I don't rightly know. We never meet as a group.

Yolo

presses the knife harder into his neck

Non-Family Mook

Wait, wait, wait... I know there are more of us, and some with sway. When we need to get into a place, guards have a way of being asleep on duty, or chatting in a corner. Passage on boat and rail is never a problem, papers or no. I can't tell ya how many of us there are though, I swear it.

Yolo

That's good enough.

taps the point of the dagger against her temple
Sounds like you all represent a big powerful threat.


Game

  • Yolo
    • I look around. Notice, 7
  • GME
    • You don't see anything or hear anything other than the men cowering in front of you.

Yolo

creases her brow again
Damn it. I said I wouldn't.

relaxes knife arm away from the man's throat
What happened to me and my friend?

Non-Family Mook

looks confused
Ma'am?

Yolo

slowly and pointedly making circles with her head
What.
Happened.
To Me.
And.
My. Friend?

Non-Family Mook

gets a dawning look on his face
Oooooohhhh, um...

I don't know what you're talking about miss. There was only ever the one of ya.

Yolo

Good, you're catching on. Sorry though, my friend and I are a well known pair. They'll never believe just he was here if they find out who he was. No, I must have died in one of the pit traps. They were too deep to recover the body.

Non-Family Mook

Oh, ya, of course. That must have been how it happened.

Yolo

Clever boy. Last question. What happened to your friend?

Non-Family Mook

He... ummm..

he looks up in thought
He died fighting your friend. He came out as we were setting up to ambush you and got our leader a good one with his sword. Then, he retreated into the ruins but tripped a trap and died.

Yolo

nodding
Satisfactory.

standing up and moving in front of the family man
Mr. Yarlson, assuming that's your name and not the photographers, is that how it happened?

Family-Mook

Yes. Exactly as you said.

Yolo

Glad we're in agreement then.
looking around nervously
starts to pack up the rations and canteens

I'm leaving you two with just enough food and water to get out of these woods. I don't want to see you following me, and you'll be better off if I'm never followed at all. If I'm ever caught by you lot, I'll make sure it's with this photo and a map of these ruins on my person. Are we understood?

Non-family and Family Mook

Nod in agreement

Yolo

Great. Did you both see where I threw those knifes earlier?
She points to the west.

All of them are over there. You'll have to crawl over and find them, then cut yourselves free. Shouldn't be impossible for you.

Sighs
Live well, and maybe try some warning shots or something next time? Wouldn't have worked with us, but you can scare off most people without outright killing them.

Ending Summary

Added Threads

  • Learn about [[The Watchers]]
  • Learn about [[The Omath]]

Closed Threads

  • Who were those people that tried to capture & kill me in the ruins
    • They were [[The Watchers]]
  • Who built the ruins
    • They were built by [[The Omath]]

Added Characters

  • [[Characters/Watcher Yarlson]]
  • [[The Watchers]]
  • [[The Omath]]

Removed Characters

Property Value
End Date & Time
Next Scene [[Journal/009. They Call Me Yolo for a Reason]]
Next Expected Scene Return to the nearest part of civilization, collect my thoughts, pick a likely place to do research and start heading there.
Ending Chaos Factor 6

Comments