Return to the nearest part of civilization, collect my thoughts, pick a likely place to do research and start heading there. Since the scene is altered, curiosity gets the best of Yolo. I find a safe place to try out the magical device, maybe with some hired help to watch me while I do a relatively dangerous thing
During the mad flight, I ran northwest, towards Knathton and falling stones. It's untested whether any of those are on my map (or what direction we were originally coming from.)
This is the scene where I switched from SWADE to Cypher. I'd gotten frustrated with SWADE in a different game. The pulpy exploding dice are cool in a group setting, but with a solo hero, sometimes they just kill you.
If the rolls look odd, it's because Cypher's a little weird. You roll a d20 and try to beat 3x the task difficulty, so for a difficulty 5 task, you're looking to get 15 or better on a d20.
| Property | Value |
|---|---|
| Start Date & Time | |
| Previous Scene | [[008. A Night in the Woods]] |
| Current Chaos Factor | 6 |
| Scene Type | Altered |
Scene
Yolo
Dax would have called me a fool for this. The biggest threat to your safety you've ever encountered and you just walk away?
Honestly, I'm not so sure.
If we'd killed them, they'd have been found by another group and I'd have been a target all the same. Maybe [[Characters/Watcher Yarlson | Mr. Yarlson]] will buy me some time though.
I hope he's a good liar. Anyway, we're on a clock. Where in the hells am I?
Game
- GME
- That's a difficulty 5 task.
- Yolo
- I'm a superb explorer, I've got a map, and I know I was generally running northwest.
- Can I treat it as a 2?
- GME
- General direction doesn't help, treat it as a 3.
- Yolo
- I'll use 1 effort
- 6 vs 4, success
- GME
- You see some ruins to your west, not the ones you were fleeing from. You suspect those are The Falling Stones. You know those ruins are picked over because they're less than a day's hike from the nearest town, Knathton
Yolo
The Stones. Lovely.
Half a day's hike to Knathton, more if I put on speed. Let's take the boys at their word that I won't be followed.`
Game
- Yolo
- I'm going to make my way into the ruins, then follow the trail from the ruins to Knathton. I'm valuing speed over hiding my tracks, and would like to get back to town as quickly as I can without exhausting myself.
- GME
- Lovely. Getting back before nightfall is a difficulty 2 task
- getting back before dinner is a difficulty 6
- Yolo
- I use 1 effort.
- 11 beats the 1, but not the 5.
- GME:
- You arrive in town well before nightfall, but well after most folks have eaten.
- It's about 7pm
- Did Dax & Yolo come through here on their way to the ruins? Very Likely, 61, yes
- The town is a comforting, familiar sight after the last couple of days in the ruins and valley.
- Yolo
- I head to the coach master's building. I want to purchase travel out of the valley, back towards The Old City.
- GME
- It's very unlikely that you can catch one today. 83, No. You buy a ticket for the next morning at 100 gold.
- Yolo
- I need an inn. I go over to the local public house and rent a room, buy myself a meal, and get some sleep.
- GME
- It costs you 25 gold for an evening, a private room, and a meal.
- Yolo
- I'm going to use my action recovery roll as I set down at the table ahead of the meal.
- The danger is over for a moment.
- 6 +1 for my rank
- After the meal, I want to go to my room and study the artefact. I looked it over in the ruins, but now that I'm back in civilization, with controllable lighting and a table, I have real work to do.
- I want to use my scanning ability to see how magical it is, and what sort of magic.
- GME
- Scanning the artifact, you sense that it is made of a rare metal. It's not silver or platinum, though it looks like either. There is no stone present, not even dust around where the gemstone looks to be set, which is remarkable. It's also impossibly old, and it positively throbs with magical power.
Yolo
What are you? An object I haven't seen or heard of is one thing, but a metal, a metal and not an alloy? Where are you from...
Game
- Yolo
- I reach out to sense what kind of magic this thing has.
- GME
- Difficulty 10
- Yolo
- I have magical training
- I know it's connected to the watchers
- just scanned the thing to see the how much power it has
- The bas relief gave be some insight
- I know that the watchers built a whole society to kill for it, so it's nothing mundane
- I'm going to put it on if I can't puzzle it out, so I'll use my you can't die yet cypher
- I'm in a secured room where I can take my time
- If I return it, I won't be able to study it again, so my curious nature compels me.
- GME
- That's 7 total bonus, hit a 3. 10 beats 9, you get a sense for it.
- It's unbelievably powerful. More than you had sensed. It reeks of necromancy, but it's not like any of the necromantic arts you've ever encountered. There's a hefty amount of life magic as well.
- Yolo
- Is... is it a phylactery?
- GME
- That's an int test at 6
- Yolo
- I scanned it
- I just ascertained the nature of the magic
- I'm formally trained in magic
- I've been studying ancient things with Dax for years
- GME
- It's a test at 3
- Yolo
- I'll use effort
- Nat 1, I want to spend xp to reroll
- 16, success
- GME
- Not exactly.
- You think it might be a tool for making them though.
Yolo
This... is dangerous. This is really dangerous. Screw getting this back to the client. We need to figure out if the client knew what they were asking for...
I bar the door, put the artifact into my bag, and sleep on it like a pillow.
I'm in more trouble than I thought.
Ending Summary
Added Threads
- What did Lee want the artifact for?
Closed Threads
- Complete the Contract
- Find out what the artifact does
Added Characters
Removed Characters
| Property | Value |
|---|---|
| End Date & Time | |
| Next Scene | [[010. Night Errors]] |
| Next Expected Scene | Yolo has fitful dreams about Dax, resolving the rest of their meetcute |
| Ending Chaos Factor | 5 |
Comments
Post a Comment