Skip to main content

010. Night Errors

Yolo has fitful dreams about Dax, resolving the rest of their meetcute.
When last we left the flashback, she'd just shot a window out of the [[Places/The Bangers and Mash]]



Note that the scene number is baked into the template name itself

Property Value
Start Date & Time
Previous Scene [[009. They Call Me Yolo for a Reason]]
Current Chaos Factor 5
Scene Type Expected

Relevant Entities

  • [[Daxter Biggby]]
  • [[Characters/Lee's Toughs]]
  • [[Places/The Old City]]

Scene

Game

  • GME
    • A window shattered, a pillar cracked to accept the new piece of metal. Patrons screamed.
    • And then the smoke cleared.

Yolo

Well, I did say I wanted a distraction...


Game

  • Yolo
    • I toss the gun and start to bolt. I'm going to run away from where I met Dax, and once I'm clear circle back around.
  • GME
    • Lee's toughs are level 2. They have +1 to might, -1 to smarts tests.
    • As you start to run, you hear a loud voice shouting through the window

Tough 1

Hoy! Whoever shot up the joint is running away!

Tough Leader

Don't just stand there, start running!


Game

  • GME
    • You hear multiple people running towards the door behind you.
    • Give us a speed test.
  • Yolo
    • I have the drop on them.
  • GME
    • Try at 1 then. -- 16, Success. 1 of 6
  • Yolo
    • I'm not looking to lose them, but I want to get them out of sight of the bangers and mash. I want to look for a way up to the rooftops of the town. I like my odds and I doubt they'll follow. Maybe an alley with a fire escape or something.
  • GME
    • Smarts to notice, speed to maintain distance.
    • You need to eat an additional 4 challenge between your speed test or your smarts roll
  • Yolo
    • I slow down to look as I run past the alleys.
    • I'm a good climber, so I know what I'm looking for
    • I've spent lots of time shopping in the old city, so I know likely places to steer
  • GME
    • Give me a speed dc4 and an intellect dc4
  • Yolo
    • effort on intellect, 14, success
    • effort on speed, 2, failure, 0 of 6
  • GME
    • You notice a likely alleyway ahead.
    • The toughs are closing in. Three of them, shouting and pointing.

Tough 2

You'll stop if you know what's good for you girlie!

Tough 3

Yeah, if you tire us out, we'll only beat you harder when we catch ya.


Game

  • Yolo
    • I do not stop. Into the alley where I saw the edge of the crates. I want to get up them and try to scale to the roof of the adjacent building.
  • GME
    • Because you're parkouring up the crates in a chase scene, let's call that speed.
    • DC 5
  • Yolo
    • 1 for climbing, 1 for the crate asset, 1 effort
    • 7 beats a 6
  • GME
    • You're on the second story.
    • 1 of 6 for your escape.
    • Roll to see if the toughs make the climb at dc 5.
  • Yolo
    • 5 < 15, no
  • GME
    • Tough 3 stays behind on the ground to lever the other two up to the crates to follow you.
    • 2 of 6 on your escape
  • Yolo
    • I sprint across the roofs down the alley, away from the toughs. I'm gonna keep going straight until I get close to a wide street that can't be jumped.
  • GME
    • You've got a good stretch of roofs to go before that, give me a speed test against 3
  • Yolo
    • 1 for being an experienced jumper, 12 beats 6
  • GME
    • You're 3 of 6 on your escape.
    • The toughs lumber across the roofs, but they're just not as lithe as you. They hesitate at the edge of each roof before they jump.
  • Yolo
    • I start paralleling the street. I'm looking for a building that has a balcony or an open window whenever I jump. Once I see one, I'm going down rather than up.
  • GME
    • Give me an intellect dc 3 to notice
  • Yolo
    • 1 effort, 3 < 6
  • GME
    • No love, there just isn't enough space between houses in this part of town to leave a balcony or between-house window.
    • I need a speed test for the chase
  • Yolo
    • 1 effort, dc 1, nat 20
    • no effort is spent and I get a major effect
  • GME
    • You really hit your stride. It was iffy at first, because it had been a few years since you'd done anything quite this dumb. Now though? You remember just how hard is too hard of a jump and just how soft will have you scrambling for purchase.
    • You're 6 of 6 on the chase now.
    • You have enough of a lead to disappear.

Tough 1

Who is that girl? One of the thieves?

Tough 2

Maybe she's one of them second story men. Don't matter, keep running.


Game

  • Yolo
    • I'm going to jump down into the crowded market to make my escape.
  • GME
    • It's a speed test of 3
  • Yolo
    • 1 for jumping, 1 for effort 8 > 3
  • GME
    • Yes, but I'll let you get some extra XP for a complication.
  • Yolo
    • Ok
  • GME
    • You land a little funny. Give me a might check to see how badly. DC 5
  • Yolo
    • 1 for effort, 1 for jumping, 8 < 9, miss
  • GME
    • You come down harder than you want and wrench your ankle. It's not broken, and it's not sprained, but it smarts. Your speed tests are hindered until you can rest.
  • Yolo
    • I flinch and get to my feet. I need to get across the road and into another alley before they catch up.
  • GME
    • Speed test at 3, due to your injury
  • Yolo
    • I apply effort, 17 > 6, Success
  • GME
    • You get across the street and into another alley. You've lost your pursuers, for the moment at least.
  • Yolo
    • I want to make sure I'm not followed. I intend to snake a winding, relatively random path away from this location. I also want to change my appearance subtly. I put my cloak in my bag along with my hat. I let down my hair and pull a jacket on over my shirt.
  • GME
    • roll stealth (int) to get away.
  • Yolo
    • 13 > 9, I manage to ditch them
  • GME
    • You did, but you're now lost in an unfamiliar part of town with a limp.
    • What would you like to do?
  • Yolo
    • I want to figure out where I am and navigate back to the alley way where I met Dax. Preferably without going past the Bangers.
  • GME
    • That could be a challenging task, or several simpler tests.
  • Yolo
    • Let's figure out the general direction the alley was in. I know Bangers was mostly east of the alley, and I ran mostly north in my flight, until I went east across the roofs.
  • GME
    • Ok, 4 for direction sensing (int)
  • Yolo
    • I'll use effort, and I lived and worked in this city for years.
    • take it as a 2 then
    • 9 > 6, success
  • GME
    • You know the general direction to go, but not exactly where
  • Yolo
    • Great, I'm going to ease my way in that direction.
    • I take a second to do my single action rest, 5 + 1
    • I want to look for any familiar landmarks as I ease my way there. I'm trying to not be obvious about being lost, but I keep an eye peeled, both for Lee's men as well as things I've seen.
  • GME
    • That's a hard test. How about a 5
    • Using effort , 7 < 12, fail
    • You travel a while, but don't see anything familiar. You must have run further than you thought.
  • Yolo
    • Hmmm, I'll go on for a little while, but move towards larger, more open streets. I should notice something I recognize in the more traveled parts of town
    • GME - Sure, give me two checks.
      • 3 to wayfind,
      • 4 to do so without being seen
      • both int.
    • 7 > 6, 13 > 9
  • GME
    • Finally, you recognize the store you were shopping at before you threw up your hands and quit your life as a mage.
  • Yolo
    • Perfect, I know where I am then, and where the bar I went to was.
    • I'm going to head in the direction of the bar and alleyway, looking for Dax.
  • GME
    • Give me an int check to see if you notice Dax, difficulty 5
  • Yolo
    • I've got time, I'm going to stop in the bar for a pint, and sit in a corner where I can see the alleyway.
  • GME
    • You go up to the bar and order a drink. You open your purse to pay, but the bartender stops you.

Barkeep:
Nah miss, e's already opened a tab and told me yer on it. Points at Dax who is walking up behind you with a drink in his hand

Dax

Good show, good show! I was wondering when you'd show up. For a second there I took you for a opportunist, wandering away with my things while Mike and his boys had a word with me.

he looks at the floor for a second and frowns
Bit shameful, that, honestly. Doubly so because you went and gave me a chance to get away. You'll forgive an old man for being jaded, won't you?

Yolo

Nothing to forgive. You didn't know me well enough to assume differently. I assume you'll be needing this to pay off our tab.

she hands Dax his wallet and effects

Dax

hefts the bag and looks in the wallet

Yolo

Sorry it's light. I paid the hostess for the... er... trouble.

Dax

looks up from the wallet at Yolo, then grins from ear to ear, and busts out laughing
Hahahaha, oh I knew I liked you, right from the start. If you're going to be a rogue, you've got to be a class act too, or else you're just a common thug.

he sighs heavily and claps Yolo on the shoulder
Now, I know it's been a bit delayed in the telling, but I really would like that story now miss.

Yolo

Story? What st.... oh! Good lord. Who I was mad at in the alley? I'd all but forgotten, you absolute madman. Are you sure now is the time and this is the place? It's been quite the morning, and I'm not sure more sitting is good for our health, if you see my meaning.

Dax

Oh, I suppose I do. Maybe you'd care to tell me on the way then.

Yolo

The way?

Dax

Well, I do still owe those gentlemen something, and I mean to get it. I gather you're both freshly unemployed and quite resourceful. How would you feel about some work that's lucrative, dangerous, and will take us away from this town?

Yolo

looks at Dax intently for a second
What sort of work?

Dax

Researching ancient cultures, locating their ruins, retrieving the occasional artifact for wealthy benefactors

Yolo

Wealthy, impatient benefactors with hired goons?

Dax

Not always, but in this case yes.
he looks around then swipes his hand over his face stroking his chin. The jocular demeanor seems to fade suddenly as he looks you dead on

Look Yolo, whatever you were doing before, they were fools for not seeing what was in front of them. You're quick witted and cool in a crisis. And decent enough to stick your neck out for a relative stranger to boot. I promise you we'll do nothing unsavory, and that there's real challenge and real reward here.

Yolo

In for a penny, in for a pound I guess. It isn't as if those men won't come looking for me too now.

Dax

Yes, sorry about that. Part and parcel of the trade, I'm afraid. But, for all of its minor inconveniences, it's certainly a line of work that isn't boring. Now, come on, let's get going before they regroup. There's a coach we can hop that's going to the same place we are...

Ending Summary

Added Threads

Closed Threads

  • Finish Yolo & Dax's meet cute

Added Characters

Removed Characters

Property Value
End Date & Time
Next Scene [[011. Waking Dreams]]
Next Expected Scene Yolo rides back to [[Places/The Old City]] in a coach and reflects on what has just happened.
Ending Chaos Factor 6

Comments